Do you have a college fair coming up?
Is a college representative visiting your high school?
Are you planning to visit a college campus soon?
All of these are great opportunities to ask questions about the things that matter to you most, which can help you get a “feel” for the campus culture - both social and academic.
When you have a chance to meet a college representative, pick their brain!
Doing so will give you new information about the school that can help you decide if it really is a place you are willing to invest your time, energy, and money… and 4 years of your life!
Below are few questions that can help you get a conversation started.
1.What academic departments are considered strongest at your college, and why?
2.What programs make your college unique?
3. How would you describe the academic pressure and workload? Do students seem stressed a lot?
4. How easy is it to participate in research and/or internships as an undergraduate?
5. What is the average class size? What is the average class size for freshmen? Are many classes held in auditoriums?
6. Do faculty act as advisors? Do they tend to be available outside the classroom?
7. Do teachers always teach the classes? If not, how often do graduate students (Teacher’s Assistants, or TAs) teach classes? If large classes break out into smaller groups (with TAs teaching) how large do these break-out groups tend to be?
8. How would you describe the students that go here?
9. How diverse (for instance, socio-economically, ethnically) is the student body? What percent of students are from the local area? What percent are from out-of-state?
10. Are there programs that help students transition to college?
11. What happens on the weekends -- are there things to do on campus or in town, or do most kids go home?
12. Are fraternities and sororities a big part of campus life?
13. What percent of students live on campus? Are students required to live on campus for any period of time?
14. What are the off-campus living opportunities like? Is it easy to find a place to rent? What's the surrounding area like and and do you consider it safe?
15. What are the most popular clubs and activities?
So there's a start for you, but don't be afraid to ask any question that comes to mind.
Enjoy the search!